Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Friday, June 15, 2007

This brought tears to my eyes

Now I'm not the type that's into American Idol type shows, but I was moved when I saw this youtube clip of Paul Potts. He's an average joe - a chunky cell phone salesman. But this unconfident, unlikely looking fellow has an amazing operatic voice. Click here to check out the video of him singing Nessun Dorma

The best part about the clip is watching Simon's face, which starts out entirely skeptical and moves to real surprise. That and the fact that whenever anyone praises Paul, he looks like he's about ready to burst into tears. What a lovely guy.

5 Comments:

Blogger amelia said...

it never ceases to amaze me how much that song can move me. i have no idea what the words even mean. i haven't a clue what the story is about. but hearing that music just sends thrills through me.

and i love all the other stuff here, too. the ordinary joe who has a gorgeous voice. simon finally being nice to someone. that crowd cheering when i would bet that most of them are total opera dunces. but there's no concealing that kind of greatness--in the music and in his voice.

thanks for sharing.

6/16/2007 12:00 AM  
Blogger Anna Maria Junus said...

I hate opera.

Yet I was moved to tears by this guys voice. I have no idea what he sang, but even I could tell that he was good. I watched the video twice and then watched a follow up video of him singing.

6/16/2007 1:16 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Amelia and Anna,thanks for your comments. nessun dorma means "no one sleeps" and "vincero" at the end means "I will conquer!" That's all I know of it.

I also love the fact that the audience spontaneously cheers while he's singing. It's almost like a cheesey tear jerker movie, where the underdog finally comes out on top, but it's real life. Love it.

John White, Your standards are too high! :) The guy's a cell phone salesman. With some professional training, I think he could be quite good.

6/16/2007 12:27 PM  
Blogger John White said...

He has been professionally trained. So part of what ruins it for me is the contrast between the story weaved for the viewing audience and reality. Well, yes he's not a pro, but no he's not completely without training. Master classes with some amazing pro's, no less...

6/17/2007 6:18 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

John, yeah, I heard him on NPR when he said he took lessons in the past. He said his last lesson was 6 year ago or something.

But that doesn't ruin the story for me. He's still just a humble, awkward guy working at Carphone Warehouse with a great voice. I'm glad he won.

6/18/2007 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home