Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Forays into Political Activism


Today I'm going to do the first politically active thing of my life: attend a friend's Iraq the Vote Party.

The objective is to mobilize democrats in states where elections are close. We'll be calling voters in Pennsylvania and asking them to be sure to vote on November 7. We'll also be watching a short film called Iraq for Sale.

Republicans have done a great job in the past of making such calls and mobilizing their base, and I hope that this time, with so many depressing things going on in Washington, Democrats will likewise do a good job of getting people out to vote.

I know the chances of Democrats taking the house or senate are slim. But I'm still hoping.

May this be the first of many activistist experiences for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Belle said...

Hi Caroline, We recently moved from Pennsylvania. Is it the Senate race you are hoping to get out the vote for? Or something else?

10/14/2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger jana said...

Caroline: You are so awesome! Thanks for attending our MoveOn party. BTW, you left your folding chair and was the plate of cookies yours? If so, I'll return them to you tomorrow.

10/14/2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Michelle,
This was a congressional race - between Fitzpatrick and Murphy. I believe it was the 8th district.

Jana, Thanks for putting that party together. It was very cool. It feels good to put my mouth where my mouth is. :)

10/14/2006 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the Democrats do win, and then run away from Iraq - starting one of the most massive civil wars on the planet, I hope you can sleep well with the 100s of thousands of deaths on your hands, rather than the thousands of deaths we have now.

10/23/2006 5:54 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Thank you, Bill, for your insightful comment.

10/23/2006 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home