Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Monday, October 02, 2006

Guilt

Today I stepped on Sibyl the Pug's foot as I was lifting baby into his car seat. With my huge deadly pump heel. She squealed and then was walking on three legs. Then I noticed blood was dripping from that foot. It was so HORRIBLE. I was stunned by the horror of it and all I could do was keep apologizing to Sibs, but Mike was a rock as usual and stopped Sib's bleeding. It turns out I smashed one of her little dog nails. I hope I also didn't break a bone. My poor baby pug!

This happened hours ago and I still feel awful. I continually have a sick feeling in my stomach when I think of it. She's now walking pretty normally but her little nail is red and must hurt so much. I'll keep an eye on it and take her to the vet if it looks like she's in pain tomorrow.

I think this gives me a clue as to how horrible I'd feel if I ever hurt my baby by accident.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

So so very sad.

:(

10/02/2006 10:47 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

You know, probably my first glimpse of this kind of remorse was when Miles was a couple of months old and I clipped this thumbnail a little too close. He cried and it bled. Oh, I felt awful.

10/04/2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger jana said...

One time I was at the park with GameBoy and I got on a swing and started pumping my legs and going really high. He ran out in front of me and I accidentally kicked him in the face and gave him a bloody nose. I have never forgotten the horror of that moment. He was fine but I felt _awful_ that I had inadvertently hurt him!

10/04/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Brooke and Jana,
Thanks for your stories :) Glad I'm not the only one that messes up occasionally in this arena.

10/04/2006 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home