Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Sunday, June 24, 2007

I Electrified My Bike!

For the past few months, I've felt guilt and disgust about the dismal gas milage my VW Passat gets. (16 mpg in the city - geez, I might as well be driving a truck!) I've twisted myself into knots trying to decide if I should get rid of my 2003 gas guzzler and buy a Prius instead. But I worried that that choice would just lead to more waste, more car production, more cars on the road. So a few weeks ago, Jana mentioned the possibility of installing an electric motor on my bike. Brilliant!

After a couple of painful hours helping Mike install a new wheel, rack, and throttle, my beach cruiser is now electrified. (Mike's the best!) It's fantastic. I can pedal when I want or just sit back and let the motor take me to a nice 25 miles per hour. It even has enough juice to get me up the vicious East Peltason hill. Now I'm just waiting for the bike trailer I ordered, so I can take baby along with me.

6 Comments:

Blogger jana said...

How much did it cost and where did you buy the parts?

6/25/2007 2:23 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

It cost $350 including shipping. A brand new one would cost about $400, I think. I got it very slightly used off of ebay. It's a Wilderness Energy product.

6/25/2007 2:30 PM  
Blogger John White said...

All I can think is "There's a vicious hill on East Peltason?! I want to ride it!"

6/25/2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger Anna Maria Junus said...

What a cool idea! You can get your exercise without worrying about running out of steam.

6/28/2007 2:32 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

John, what is vicious to me is probably not even challenging in the slightest to you. This is coming from someone who can barely walk around the block without getting winded.

6/30/2007 7:39 PM  
Blogger John White said...

Classic sign of nasal spray abuse.

7/01/2007 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home