Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Ahhh, Captain Wentworth...

Last Wednesday afternoon, Amy came over and we watched Persuasion. Captain Wentworth was in particularly fine form, all rugged masculinity and sexy commanding presence. I've probably seen the movie 20 times, and I often wonder what kind of feminist I am to always drool over Jane Austen heroes like I do. After all, the men are generally somewhat arrogant and authoritative. And ultimately, by the end of the novel, patriarchy and traditional marriage are always affirmed.

Yet there's just something about those Austen men... give me a good dose of Mr. Darcy, Colonel Brandon or Captain Wentworth any day. Oh la la, the fantasies they inspire! Yet it's funny - when it all came down to it in reality, I chose Mike who admittedly shares little resemblence in looks and attitude with my Austen men. Fantasies are fun but reality with Mike is pretty good too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Sure. I try to get Mike to fantasize about other women, but he refuses. Says I'm all he needs :)

10/04/2005 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no! You've thrown my entire sense of self-worth out the window of the rickety, rural English carriage! Am I masculine but not ruggedly masculine? Or not masculine at all? Is my presence commanding but not in a sexy way? Or am I just sexy but not commanding? Am I closer to the dastardly Wickham instead of the dashing Darcy? Or worse yet, am I Mr. Collins!? Does that make you the Lady CAROLINE de Burgh?

10/04/2005 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home