Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Monday, November 14, 2005

Library



I am working as a substitute library assistant right now as I type. It's pretty slow at the moment so I have time to do this.

I'm in the children's section at the desk, and I help all the parents and kids that come up to me who need help finding books. I really like this part of library work -- helping kids with projects, finding good historical fiction books for kids, etc. I could definitely see myself doing this as a career.

Problem is I have to get through library school to ever get to this point. Library school is....well, boring. The classes I'm taking are all about managing a library, which quite frankly, I'm not very interested in. I just want to be a literacy advocate who helps kids find information and literature they need. (I also want to have purchasing power to buy whatever books I want for the kids. Fun!!)

One aspect of children's librarianship that I am unsure about is the storytimes. Children's librarians have to read to pre-school age kids and sing songs with them and do crafts with them for 40 minutes a couple times a week. This intimidates me a little since I have never done this. I should probably drop in on my church's primary more often to get a better idea of how you keep little kids' attention.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

John,
Thanks but no thanks:) My stint in primary a couple of years ago almost drove me to inactivity. (ironically it's going to Relief Society that's driving me to inactivity now)

Guy,
True. Managing is a necessary evil. But I think I'll leave it up to someone else...

11/16/2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Colin,
Where do you teach?

And sorry, I'm a technoidiot, what does enable RSS mean?

Caroline

11/18/2005 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home