Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Have I Finally Found My Destiny?


Last weekend I went to a sociology of religion conference with Mike. Fun! I got to hear sessions on Mormon motherhood, on Mormon women subverting and supporting patriarchy, on sexual harrassment in the Methodist church, etc.

While there I spoke to an LDS woman who is getting her doctorate in Women and Religion at Claremont. As I was talking with her, I was overwhelmed with excitement and the feeling that this just may be what I've been looking for. For so long I've been wanting to be a grad student in women's studies but I've not found a program close to home that would work. But this.... 45 minutes away, a new Mormon studies chair.... other than its exorbitant price it may just be perfect.

But I don't want to screw this one up. If I enter this I want to finish it. With a PhD. I think I should bide my time and really figure out if this is the field. And I need to figure out when I should do this. It may be that 7 or 8 years down the line might be best.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Seriously, it sounds way more exciting than Library Science. Especially when you put it that way. I say go for it, but do it when it feels right. I bet when the time comes, you'll know it.

10/26/2006 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home