Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Thursday, April 26, 2007

"I Know This War Is True" The Home Teaching Visit from Hell

A week or so ago, a friend in my ward recounted this harrowing story. (sorry if I get any details wrong.) I find it horrifying, but vastly entertaining. I'm not quite sure what draws me to this anecdote exactly - the blanket assumption that all Mormons are right behind Bush when it comes to the war? the nerve of someone who doesn't know you well coming into your home and preaching political opinions? the willingness of an LDS person to put Mr. Nice Guy aside and tell it like it is when said person comes preaching politics?

The story:
The home teachers came over for a visit. After the usual chit chat, the home teacher, instead of giving them the First Presidency message like he's supposed to, instead brings out an article about LDS soldiers serving in Iraq, how noble the endeavor is, etc. After summarizing this article, the home teacher proceeds to bear his testimony that he knows this war is true.

My friend hears the man out, and then says, "Well let me give you another view on this war." And he proceeds to talk about all the ways this war is problematic and unethical, and how it was a huge mistake for the U.S to invade Iraq. My friend really gives him a piece of his mind, and then closes the visit with this:

"I never thought I'd say this, but could you just give us the message from the Ensign next time?"

Hah! I love that last line.

4 Comments:

Blogger amelia said...

this totally cracked me up. you know--in that totally sympathetic, i'm sorry you had to deal with that, kind of way.

fortunately my home teachers are just nice and read the message and bring me goodies. no war-mongering from them.

4/29/2007 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I know this war is true"?

Do these people ever listen to themselves?

I don't know how anyone could consider this appropriate.

4/29/2007 4:37 PM  
Blogger Amberlynn said...

Hysterical! My hubby saw the first part of your headline and automatically thought "That sounds like a mormon thing" and then read the rest. He describes his Fast Sunday experiences as "I know the church is true because my cat is yellow."

Luckily, we have great home teachers and we let them come. They even threw a party we attended last night: the people who live with their parents party. Amazingly, there was political discussion we all agreed on, and we were the only non church-goers there.

4/29/2007 10:23 PM  
Blogger Seymour Glass said...

i think that home teacher is lucky he was visiting your friend and not me. i not only would've told him a thing or two about why the war is decidedly not true (in part because it's based on lies foisted on the public by our poor excuse for leaders), i also would've have kicked them out of my home and asked them never to return (all in a Christ-like way, you know like clearing the money changers out of the temple). then i would've called my priesthood leader and requested new home teachers or none at all.

5/01/2007 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home