Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Thursday, March 22, 2007

What I'm Reading (when I have a spare minute)


1. The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver is the book I picked for this month's AROOM meeting. I was struck by Kingsolver's respect for nature, and I enjoyed the story of the plucky 18 year old who becomes an instant mother when she comes accross an unwanted Native American child.


2. The Rich Are Different by Susan Howatch (This is my guilty pleasure.) It's not a romance novel, but it is this huge 1000 page sweeping saga. It's an update of the Caesar and Cleopatra story.


3. Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd. I've only read the first chapter or so, but I'm loving all the fabulous quotes from various feminists and great thinkers she's using.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

I want to read that one by Sue Monk Kidd. Is it hard to get into it? Or are you too swept away by the Howatch one to pick it up regularly?

My most recent guilty pleasure was Twilight and its sequel, New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. And now that I've read everything that's out by her, I seriously just think about the story all the time, wishing there were more to read already (her third one doesn't come out until August). I bet you'd enjoy them.

3/24/2007 10:28 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Brooke: I found the first two-thirds of Kidd's book captivating. She's the wife of a Southern pastor who begins a woman-centered spiritual journey. By the last third, I thought she had said it all (needed one more edit, I think), but that doesn't diminish my overall enjoyment of the book.

By the way, I've posted a picture of Meyer's new cover on my website (readathon.wordpress.com). She'll release the first chapter in May.

3/29/2007 5:44 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hey Brooke,
I haven't paid much attention to the Kidd book recently. I think it would be a good read, but I'm distracted by other things.

I've got to read Stephanie Meyer! Hopefully this summer

3/29/2007 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deborah generously lent me her copy of Kidd's book. I absolutelyloved it- so much that I had to buy my own copy.

I've also loved reading books by Kathleen Norris (another great recommendation from Deborah). Both of those women (Kidd and Norris) have strong, unique voices and write beautifully about women's spiritual journeys. In the end, one of them must leave her church and the other navigates her way within Christianity. I'm still puzzling out why some can stay and others find they absolutely must leave.

4/01/2007 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home