Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Had a Mike Moment Today

This morning as I was wasting time with...er, lovingly caring for Evan, I was driving pointlessly through Del Taco to get a diet coke. And listening to NPR, of course.

They were talking about how study after study has shown that kids who attend preschool do better in school, are more likely to go to college, even more likely to stay married. Such studies have prompted certain groups and politicians to float the idea of universal preschool in certain states.

Now I'm all for programs and policies that get kids into preschool. But the Mike side of my brain, the side that Mike has successfully infiltrated, started asking these questions. Is this a spurious correlation? Maybe it's not preschool that helps kids be more successful, it's the fact that the type of kids who get put in preschool (i.e. wealthier) are the kind that have more support at home and who would do better in school anyway.

Whoa! It's frightening when that happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger jana said...

My kids didn't do preschool and they're turning out okay :)

Not only was I too cheap to pay for preschool, I wanted to teach my kids to read & such in my own way. I think it worked pretty well.

9/30/2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Jana,
I've never been one who is all that attracted to home schooling, but I'm starting to see the benefits. Teaching your kids your way is a huge plus.

9/30/2007 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point, but look at the Head Start data. It (pre-school) works on all social econ levels.

10/03/2007 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home