Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Sad Night - Sibyl's dead



Our pug Sibyl died last night. She was a wonderful dog. Kind, nurturing, well-mannered. She came to us three years ago from a home in which she was neglected and unloved. But at least she left this earth with a family that truly loved her.

As with Penelope, euthenizing a Sibyl was a painful experience. She had gotten to the point where she was gasping for breath and barely able to breathe. I couldn't stand to see her struggle anymore, so Mike and I decided to release her from her suffering. We cried and said goodbye and rubbed her head as she took her final breath.

Things I'll miss about Sibyl:
-her huge tongue that was always hanging out of her mouth because it was too long to be contained
-the way that huge tongue would get dry and sandpapery from being exposed to the air for so long
-the way she would spend up to 40 minutes licking my legs
-how she would press her head hard into my hands and lean into them when I pet her and rubbed her ears
-how cute she was in her Caesar costume
-how she was always trying to lick the inside of the other dogs' ears
-her excited low woo woo bark when she wanted to be released from the kitchen
-the way she begged for food so politely, never pawing or barking, just staring up with her big brown eyes
-her massive and utterly distinctive underbite
- her barrel chest which, combined with the underbite, always lead people to think she was a boy dog

She was lovely. I hope she's happy and playing with Penelope right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Oh, how sad. I'm so sorry, Caroline. That's so endearing how she would lick the other dogs' ears. It makes me happy to think she is no longer troubled by physical ailments.

11/18/2006 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that Sybil is gone. I am glad that she is no longer suffering--poor little puppy :(

I do like to think that her life was much better for your involvement in it.

11/19/2006 9:09 AM  
Blogger jana said...

While I am grieving with you at her loss, I am so happy to know that she's no longer suffering! Caroline I have such beautiful images of you and her in my mind--seeing you love your dogs always makes me smile :)

11/19/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger VirtualM said...

I'm so sorry - being a pug owner myself, I know how much love they have to give. I'm sure that she will be fondly remembered and sorely missed.

11/20/2006 8:54 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Thanks for all your kind comments. It was awful, but I had known that Sibyl's time was limited, so this time it wasn't as traumatic as Penelope's death. She was such a sweet dog.

11/20/2006 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home