Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Conversation with my mom

Background info: My mom is a great woman. She was widowed with two young kids. She's been a homemaker for 30 years and has served in several RS and primary presidencies.

Me: Mom, I have a friend who has been going out with this guy for 4 years. They are perfect for each other. He's absolutely wonderful, he really loves her, but he just won't propose since he's concerned about finances.

Mom: (half serious) She should get pregnant. That would get him to the alter.

Me: Mom! That would not go over well with her family.

Mom: She could just tell him she was pregnant.... and then later say that she was mistaken.... that should do the trick.

Me: (laughing) Aside from the ethical problems of tricking a man into marriage, I like the way you think outside the box.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why haven't you posted anything the last few days.
I like the way YOU think outside the box.

8/13/2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Wow, anonymous, thanks. Whenever I see that someone has commented anonymously, I dread reading the comment. (They tend to be mean spirited.) But your comment was really nice. :)

And yes, I've been slacking on my blog. Inspiration hasn't hit me recently...

8/13/2007 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides your mom, who has inspired you to think "outside the box"?

8/13/2007 7:40 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hmmm... good question. I think I had some great high school English teachers, and my women's college had a profound effect on me. Loved every second of it. And good friends, too, have definitely opened up my eyes in new ways.

8/14/2007 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home