Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bad Ode to 24 Hour Fitness

O 24 Hour Fitness, my 24 Hour Fitness
Hallowed be your name.

When I had spent all last night retching
And spent the morning so weak with chills,
So exhausted,
So overcome with muscle aches
That I could barely lift up my own child

Where else could I turn for help?
Where else could I turn for 2 hours of child care
For only $3.00?
Where else could I go for a hot shower
(my first in 3 days)
without the constant worry of what my child was getting into?

Nowhere else.
Though I have walked through the valley of the shadow of vomit,
I have received sustenance, I have received succor
From 24 Hour Fitness.

(N.B. Rebecca also deserves huge credit in making my life better by risking contagion and babysitting the Beast while I taught school today.)

3 Comments:

Blogger John White said...

Poem: funny
Illness: sad

I haven't made it to the gym this week, which is bad. Especially since girls seem to love the guns (OK, I love them too).

11/21/2007 7:52 PM  
Blogger cchrissyy said...

The one time i belonged to a gym (3 months), it was exactly for the cheap childcare and showers.

11/22/2007 8:59 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Yes, I love guns too. Too bad I seem physically incapable of developing some nice ones.

cchrissyy, I know a lot of women who join just for that reason as well. It's a total bonus for me that the Beast has a blast there, and that I get those 45 minutes on the treadmill to read my books.

11/23/2007 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home