Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Handing my baby over and feeling great about it

(Cross posted at Exponentblog)
I love my baby more than anything. He’s adorable and funny, and if something ever happened to him, I would be destroyed. But boy do I look forward to getting away from him every day.


Ever since I started teaching school part time in the fall, I’ve been struck by how happy I am to hand him over to Mike (twice a week) and babysitters (three times a week) so that I can go off for four hours to do my thing. What can I say? E’s a doll, but he’s also a whiney kid who is much happier when he has people other than me to look at.


So every weekday at noon, I gladly hand him over. I have no worries about his well being. I have the best babysitters in the world, including my mom, my sister in law, and a neighborhood friend. I know E. has a great time when he’s playing with these babysitters’ kids.


I love the fact that I get to step away from my baby for a few hours a day and interact with a different group of people. Not only do I get the stimulation of using a whole different part of my brain, but I also get to see (sometimes) how much it means to certain students when I tell them how smart they are and what great people they are. I really feel like I have the best of both the parenting world and the working world.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

I work part-time too. My older kids are all in school, but my three year-old started pre-school. I spent many years feeling guilted into staying home. I am so much happier now and, more importantly, so is my three year-old. She is sad if I show up too early to pick her up. She loves the daily art projects, story times, outdoor play, and other activities that I just wasn't organized to do with her (or her siblings) each day. I agree with you. It's the best of both worlds.

10/18/2007 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look at little e.! he's getting so big! i'm thinking i'm with you caroline....and i don't even have kids yet :)

10/18/2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

melessa, I'm so glad part-time is working out for you and your family! I think E is the same as your little one - he just loves being in different environments with different people.

Meka, if you become a teacher, there often are great opportunities for part time work.

10/18/2007 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home