Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I Can't Watch Seinfeld Any More


It's sad. So sad. Seinfeld was such a good friend to me. Almost every day for years, from 6-7, and then maybe again from 10-11, I'd catch reruns of this fantastic show. I'd have it on in the background for company as I cooked dinner or got ready for bed. I'd glance up and fondly watch George up to his usual antics, Elaine making her sarcastic comments, Kramer sliding into the rooms. Ah... the good times.


But it's all over now. I've broken it off with Seinfeld. I didn't want to, but I can't stop myself. Ever since Michael Richards sickening racist rant, I just can't watch it. The second he enters a scene, it's all I can think of. So my long standing relationship with this show is over.


I feel bad about it. I should be able to forgive Michael Richards. After all, he made an apology and went to rehab and all. And if I ever went on a freaky racist rant, I'd hope that people would someday forgive me for it.


But I just can't stop that visceral reaction, that sickening tightening of the gut whenever I see him on the show.


I wonder if there's any way I can repair this relationship. And if I should even try.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

the way i see it, it's just a show (a great show at that) and Michael Richards is just an actor in those shows. Jerry Seinfeld and the other actors may seem great on the shows, too; but everyone has their dark sides. unfortunately, Richards showed that under pressure and in public. under the right stimuli at the wrong time, it evoked him. not to say that this is an excuse by any means... just don't pay attention to the man outside of his Cosmo Kramer persona... just relish the show as it was meant to be remembered. that's how i can still watch reruns of this without having to remember those frickin' rants he went on.

- Phong, San Francisco

6/22/2007 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home