Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I'm some old woman's angel

Today I was getting my car washed. For the first time in 3 years. Quite a disgusting task for those poor guys that had to vacuum my rugs.

While I was waiting, an old lady came into the waiting room crying. Apparently she had just had her car washed and when she got into it to drive away, it wouldn't start. She was convinced that the car washers had done something to mess up her car. She talked to the manager and was very upset when he said there was nothing he could do to help her.

I felt bad. This was a really really old lady. So I went up and offered to give her a ride home. She was grateful, and we had a very nice chat as we rode back. She loved my bumper stickers and talked about all of her interfaith activities. Weirdly, she is actually a former Mormon. As I dropped her off, she told me I was her angel.

Wow. I feel all warm and fuzzy because I got to be someone's angel today. That hardly ever happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger Seymour Glass said...

that is a nice feeling. i had an experience with a chatty, elderly widower at the In-n-Out in Long Beach near the airport where i was eating dinner before a flight. he just sat down next to me and chatted me up for 20 minutes about his deceased wife and his kids. people were throwing me really puzzled looks, like they couldn't believe someone my age would actually talk to some old dude going on and on about how he and his wife used to come down to the In-n-Out together.

i was glad to have left my iPod in the car. usually, i'd have had it on.

10/12/2007 12:28 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I like that story. Except the fishy part about her car. Poor lady.

10/12/2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

seymour, very cool. I wish things like that happened more often to me.

Brooke,
Yeah, the car thing was sad. I actually felt bad for the car washers too because I don't think they could have done anything to mess it up. It was probably just an old car with problems. But she was just totally convinced that they were responsible.

10/13/2007 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home