Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Artificial Insemination Fun

Well, this week I entered the world of artificial insemination. It's not pretty. I was envisioning me taking some clomid and then a quick injection of sperm and we'd be done with it. But no. I've had to go in every morning this week so that they can do ultrasounds of my ovaries and monitor the eggs. The ultrasound method is invasive and not pleasant. I'll say no more about that.

And today I was inseminated, but I have to go back and do it again tomorrow. The insemination is more involved as well. It involves a catheter getting inserted to the very top of my uterus Unpleasant, but not as horrifyingly painful as that damn iodine test.

Let's hope this takes. And that it's not twins.

4 Comments:

Blogger SoCalSingleMama said...

Wow, I had no idea you'd decided to do this! Don't you have to stay in bed for about four months now? I seem to remember someone saying quite a bit of down time was involved in the process.

Inefficiency is my biggest pet peeve, so I lean toward thinking of twins as the most efficient way to have two children. Perhaps this is only because I have never been responsible for a baby....

10/09/2008 1:03 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hi Journeygal,
No, I'm free to go about as normal. Maybe you're thinking of IVF or something. Anyway, it's miserable, even if it is just artificial insemination. My experience Friday was awful. It took numerous tries and lots of blood before they got the catheter in. I was pretty bitter and upset.

I know what you mean about the efficiency of twins. But considering the fact I can barely handle Beast, the thought of twins plus Beast makes me shudder. My mom is eupohric about the possibility though.

10/11/2008 8:58 PM  
Blogger EmilyCC said...

Ultrasounds every morning? What a pain (um, no pun intended)!

The twin idea terrifies me, too. But, Nate is with journeygal--he thinks it would have been great to have triplets and be done.

Keeping you in my prayers because 1 month of clomid is plenty!

10/12/2008 8:25 AM  
Blogger SoCalSingleMama said...

Curiosity has gotten the best of me and I haven't seen you lately, so I'm inclined to ask here....did it work? ;-)

I owe you lunch. We're headed to Utah for the holidays but we should get together in January! Hope everything is going well.

12/18/2008 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home