Madwoman Out of the Attic

a feminist trudging forward in a patriarchal world

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Saving the World, One Offensive Sign at a Time

Every week for the last few years, I have encountered a certain offensive sign. A sexist sign. A sign that is trying to get across a benign point, but that uses completely wrong and sexist language. Some of you who know me, know what sign I am referring to.

We are at last free from this sign. I have subtly and surreptitiously amended it so that it now gets its point across without using offensive language. I will be surprised if anyone notices. But even if no one registers the difference, my mind will be at ease that it is no longer is communicating unhealthy and sexist ideas.

:)

9 Comments:

Blogger amelia said...

you can't say that and then not disclose what the sign is. it will drive me crazy...

1/04/2007 1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are kind of being a big tease right now...and that is not very nice! (Only because I am really curious)

Can I get a hint?

1/04/2007 5:29 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Tanya and Amy,
I'll email you about it. Since I don't know who's reading my blog, I can't be too open about it.

Anyone else who wants to know what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll send you an email too.

1/04/2007 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm totally curious now, too.....

1/04/2007 10:10 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

tanya, did you get my email? I'm not sure if the address I have for you is current.

1/04/2007 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, I actually got both of them. Yahoo is the account I check most.

You rock for doing that!!!!

1/05/2007 3:16 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Deborah, I sent it to your missf....account. I hope that's the right one.

1/05/2007 7:49 AM  
Blogger jana said...

Ok, me too--I want in on the sign thing :)

1/05/2007 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - glad to here you were able to get that one changed. :-)

1/06/2007 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home